Thursday, October 4, 2007

An eye opening conversation

Second post of the day? Nah, it's two in the morning now. I just came back home from a bit of clubbing and dinning with my cousins. The best part of the night though was back from some crappy bar we had dinner at Sanborn's (like an upper-class Denny's, may I say?), and I had one of the best conversations I've had in a while.

My cousin Carolina is a young 19-year-old, law student here in Mexico. She was named one of the best students in the country when she was in Elementary School and now she attends the top law school of the state. She is going to Harvard for six months in January... Freaking Harvard Law School! Like Elle Woods, hehe, but smart. Anyways, she is my pride and joy, I love her so much and I'm so proud of what she is doing. So we were talking of the political situation in Mexico and she told me something I will never forget..

She told me that people wanted her to be a politician but she wouldn't do that because she doesn't want to please people. She rules herself by her ideals and If you can prove her ideals wrong with real facts she accepts it, but she is not going to take shit from anyone, no one is ever going to try to impose an opinion to her because she is her own individual and she believes in what she is completely sure of. Then another of my cousins said this:

"Prefiero morir parado que vivir hincado por el resto de mis dias"

The translations is "I prefer to die standing than to live on my knees for the rest of my life", and you know what? It's fucking true! We're young, we have the power to change stuff! Being young and not being a revolutionary is hipocritical even by a biological standard. We're supposed to try to change things, it's our nature. The world we're living in keeps on getting worst and by the time we're adults there is not going to be chance to change it all.

That is the exact reason I want to be a journalist, to try to change things and to make a difference in my life. I don't want to just come and go from this world, I want to leave a mark, a legacy. Not only in my family but with people in general. If I could help to change someone to something better, It's like Mission Acomplished for me. Journalism gave me a reason to transcend in this life. It's my mission to make something for this fucked-up world we live in. I dare you to do something. Raise your voice, do something with your life.

Thanks Caro for giving me the push I needed. You and I are going to start the movement. Things need to change. You make me proud of being a mexican. Now go and kick ass on Harvard, I LOVE YOU!

No comments: